Sunday, February 24, 2013

Blackrock, Salthill, Galway

'Blackrock, Salthill, Galway'  Oil on Canvas  Patricia Kavanagh

This painting is dear to my heart because I grew up just a short walk from here.  We played here as children every day during summer holidays.  My father, who spent his youth diving and swimming here was presented with an award by the Carnegie Trust for saving human life on 29th September 1942.  His name appears in the 'Book of Heros' in the Carnegie Trust Museum.

The painting was sold to a woman whose father had recently passed away.  This was his favourite place in the world.  She used the image of this painting on his memorial card and she included these beautiful words: 

"The blessings of a poor old man
Be with you night and day
The blessings of a poor old man 
Whose heart will soon be clay
Tis all the heaven I ask of God
Upon my dying day
My soul to soar, forevermore
Above you Galway Bay"

No comments:

Post a Comment